This year’s enrollment into the Female Student Scholarship Scheme(FSSS) was remarkable as GCC enrolled the first set of girls into theGCC Girls Academy in Borno. The Girls Academy is another initiative by GCC to ensure more girls in Borno State especially those from IDPCamps, access secondary education through its scholarship scheme.
The Academy is aimed at reintegrating vulnerable adolescent girls affected by the insurgency from the North East which has one of the highest indices of out of school children with girls constituting a higher percentage back to normal life. This is to be achieved by enrolling them into the Academy which is a special secondary school within Borno metropolis, so that they can complete their secondary education. The project will adopt the India Khan Academy concept which empowers learners to study at their own pace in and outside the classroom through class lessons, practical exercises, instructional videos, and a personalised learning
KEY COMPONENTS/ ENROLLMENT PROCESS
- Advocacy and consultation with the Ministry of Education and other key Government agencies.
- Advocacy to traditional leaders and community engagement to get community buy-in and meeting with parents/guardians -this is so as to have a firm understanding of our goals and get their approval/ support with a high level of commitment. Girls writing enrolment examinations at Mohammed Goni IDPCamp
- Selection and screening of girls.
- Placement and orientation.
- Monitoring and Evaluation.